Sunday, February 12, 2017

Driving to Queenstown

This blog post is more about the drive to Queenstown than actually arriving in Queenstown because who would have thought that a drive could be so incredible! It's safe to say at this rate that I've traveled the world, but I don't think I've ever seen such blue water as I did on this trip!

The first body of water that we saw was Lake Pukaki.  Lake Pukaki is the largest of three alpine lakes near Mount Cook.  I later discovered that this lake was the setting for laketown in 'The Hobbit.' Very cool!
Lake Pukaki

Our Trax Rental Car! SO CUTE

We then passed Lake Ruataniwha. Suzie and I were unprepared to see such incredible color... In fact we didn't even realize we would be driving next to this lake! The glacial feed to the lakes is what gives them such a distinctive blue color, created by glacial flour (which is extremely fine ground up rock particles from glaciers). 

Lake Ruataniwha

Lake Ruataniwha

We also passed Lake Dunstan (a man-made lake) and then the town of Cromwell, which had giant fruit statues boasting it's local fruit economy.  Ironically we also passed the Gold Fields Mining Centre (which is you know that I work in the Gold Fields District in California you should find that extremely funny)! 

Kawarau River



No comments:

Post a Comment