Sunday, September 21, 2014

Unique Things in My Life

We call the grocery store in Halfway to find out what is happening in town or where someone might be.

In the winter 32 degrees in warm.

I can tell how warm it is outside by how many tries it takes the generator to start up.

Driving from Cornucopia to Baker City means driving from high alpine forest to farmland to sage brush and back to farmland.

I can tell which truck and trailer belongs to which rancher.

I've switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back in the same day. And changed from snow boots to regular shoes and back in the same day.

The seasons are: Almost winter. Winter. Summer. And dust.

If it doesn't have snow or hasn't recently erupted it's not a real mountain.

Driving on the freeway in snow is no big deal. In fact, I can put chains on all 4 tires in a little over two minutes.

I measure distance in hours. (30 minutes to the post office. An hour and a half to Safeway.)

If you call the wrong number it's ok. They'll give the right number. Or you'll end up having a lengthily conversation with a complete stranger.

The Feed and Seed (gas station) knows everyone by name. And everyone has a charge account.

It seems like everyone is related to everyone. Except us.

I spend most of the winter shoveling snow.

Can't pass a road grader because the on coming traffic is a tractor.



When we go to town, no one asks us where we live or what we do. They all know we live 'up the mountain' at Cornucopia.

When other people ask were we are from and we automatically tell them the larger town near by. (Baker City).

Making it home with warm takeout is impossible. We always end up re-heating it.

I live in a ghost town and have faster internet than most people I know.

Here's one for you. We have weird names in Oregon. Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Umpqua, Yakima, Willamette, Wallowa, Umatilla, and Cayuse.

And those are just some unique things about my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment