Friday, August 8, 2014

Because I Can

Because this is my blog and I'm allowed to vent and be angry if I want to.

That being said, this post is going to be about the care of my horses and the horses we use here at the lodge and pack station.  First thing first... I want EVERYONE to know that I take great pride in the care and well-being of my animals.  Second thing, my horses have the best job in the world. They are legged up in May and June, ridden fairly hard between July-Septemeber in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, then to get to sit and eat until the following May. Doesn't sound too bad does it? Three months of work and nine months of getting to eat and relax.  Thirdly, you must understand that my horses are trained for this environment. They wouldn't do well in an arena. Heck, half the time they aren't even sure what flat ground is.

When you own as many horses as I do, some are always bound to get hurt. Please understand that if I have an injured horse I will do everything in my power to take care of that animal. I spend part of my day, every day, doctoring each little boo boo they get. I love them. They are all my babies. I know every quirk, every fault, and every aspect of each horse I own. And yes. They get bit by other horses. A lot. It happens in a herd environment. I would love to have a stall for every horse or let each horse have their own separate turnouts, but until I win the lottery that isn't happening.

Lastly, if you don't like my horses or my operation then don't bother coming back. I'm not forcing you to ride my horses or enjoy the beauty of the Eagle Caps.

So, to those nay-sayers that would like me to quit, I'm sorry to inform you that won't be happening. I love my horses (and mules!) and I do take pride in each of them. They are all amazing at what they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment