Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Crater Lake

Wizard Island

I can finally cross this one of my bucket list! Today I got the chance to visit Crater Lake, in southern Oregon. Currently, I'm headed to the Western States Horse Expo in Sacramento California (to set up a booth and advertise the lodge and horse camp). Rather than do the drive through Nevada in one day, I decided to take two days and go through southern Oregon, thus allowing me to make a slight detour to Crater Lake.

Crater Lake - So Blue!

There is still snow in some places around Crater Lake but it is so beautiful! And much larger than I had imagined. I was surprised how busy it was, but I guess it's a huge tourist attraction so that is to be expected.

For those of you who don't know, Crater Lake is a 2,148 deep caldera that was formed by the collapse of the Mount Mazama volcano. Crater lake is the deepest lake in America and has two island, Wizard Island and Phantom Ship. Fun fact, if you have an Oregon vehicle you can select Crater Lake as your license plate rather than the standard tree.

Beautiful Crater Lake, Oregon

Tonight I'm staying in Klamath falls and perhaps tomorrow I'll finish listening to the audio book I've been indulging in (A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson).

No comments:

Post a Comment