Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Georgia Bound

One of my favorite things to do with my sister is go on little mini-trips. Last time I visited Heidi we headed up to the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga, so it was only fitting that this time we went to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.  (This was also a great excuse to play with my new DSLR.)


We got to the aquarium about noon and spent the rest of the day roaming around the exhibits.  They had really neat exhibits such as: Cold Water Quest, Georgia Explorer, Ocean Voyager, River Scout, and Tropcial Diver. The Georgia Aquarium houses 12,000 animals representing 500 species and is the world's largest aquarium, opened in 2005. Here are just a small sample of the photos I took while at the aquarium!

Heidi in the Tunnel

Whale Shark

Sea Stars and Fish

Seahorse

Penguin! 

Beluga whales playing with a training hoop.
They kept moving it around the tank!

In Front of the Corral Reef Exhibit

Fish (I can't remember the name of this guy…)

Amazon Piranha! 

Lion Fish 

Huge Lobster

Heidi also bought us tickets to watch the dolphin show, appropriately named "Dolphin Tales." The plot line was a little cheesy but it was incredible to watch the dolphins and their trainers perform! We didn't get to take photos of the performance, but after the show we got to see the dolphins in their tanks. They are such playful creatures and I am always amazed at how smart they are.

A Dolphin Playing with a Football

We also got to see a special exhibit the aquarium had, entitled "Sea Monsters Revealed: Aquatic Bodies." Basically the exhibit allowed us to see both outside and inside the bodies of the most amazing sea creatures. Among the exhibits we saw a 6-food-wide devil ray, a 15-foot-long shark and a 18-foot-long 3,000 pound whale shark.  We also saw a dissected shark that had seven babies inside it crazy!

Such neat dissections!
After we finished at the aquarium we walked around downtown Atlanta and stumbled upon a ferris wheel. It was pretty expensive but I'm super glad we did it! (Plus it went around a lot more times than I thought I would.) The views of downtown Atlanta were amazing and we even got to see the aquarium from above.

View from the Ferris Wheel

Heidi and I on the Ferris Wheel 

Carriage Cars on the Ferris Wheel

Ferris Wheel with a Tree

We also walked through the Centennial Olympic Park, part of the 1996 Summer Olympics. They had the fountains running and everything was decorated for Christmas.



And then there was the Coca-Cola Museum… With it's gain ornaments you could sit in! We didn't go into the museum but we walked by it a couple times.


By the end of the day we decided to stop and eat. Thanks to good ol' Google we found Max's Pizza, a great little pizzeria a couple blocks from the aquarium. It was amazing pizza. Really amazing. Made with coal fire. I could eat there everyday, because what is better than pizza and bottled root beer?  

I also snagged a beautiful photo of the ferris wheel.

I had a great time with Heidi in Atlanta and a fun time with the family in Alabama.  I'm really sad that I have to go home, but I am glad I get to see Scout (my dog).

No comments:

Post a Comment