Thursday, January 31, 2013

Last Day in Chiang Mai Thailand

Today was our last day in Thailand. At first, Alexis and I didn't know what to do today... then we decided to go to the Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep. This is the most famous temple in Chiang Mai and it overlooks the city, sporting beautiful views. Built in 1383, Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep sits at 3,520 feet and is perhaps the first real "mountain" Alexis and I have seen.



This temple is beautiful and the 300+ stairs you must climb before entering the temple make it a memorable experience. I felt at home in the mountains and I just loved the green jungle I was surrounded by!

At the Bottom of the Stairs
We then had our driver take us to the Silk Factory in Chiang Mai. What a process to make silk! It was neat to see the silk worms and I can't believe that these factory works make silk all day. It's insane! I bought a piece of silk that my mom can hem, so I'll now have a wild rag from Thailand!

After the silk factory we went to hand-made umbrella factory. If I had money (and a giant house) I would have bought this giant elephant painting they had, but it was massive (think 6x12 feet). However it was only $100USD - so if you need to buy large pieces of artwork go to Thailand!

My Favorite Painting Here in Thailand
There were also giant fans and beautiful hand painted umbrellas everywhere!


Alexis and I finished off our little adventure by grabbing some ice cream. Now we are just in our hotel room blogging. Tonight we will head back to the night bazaar for some dinner and we might spend the last of our Thai money on souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment