Thursday, October 11, 2012

Oh, the Spices

One day I sorted spices in the kitchen and realized there are a lot. Can you believe the amount of spices we have?!



I also experimented making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. They are ok, but the muffins I made before are way better! Click here for the muffin recipe. 

We are also in the process of winterizing the lodge. This basically involves a ton of work to make sure that everything will operate come snow fall. I'm not really a fan of snow/cold weather, but it should be interesting. I'm hoping to get in some good ski time (downhill to Halfway from the Lodge), but I'm debating if I should invest in some cross country skis. I've never done cross country skiing, but surely if can't be too difficult. I guess I'd rather ski around than snowshoe. But who knows what this winter will bring.

I'm also excited because Alexis and I are attempting to plan a trip in January and February to Asia. Specifically heading to Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia, and China. If we actually go though with it (which I really hope we do) then it's sure to be an amazing trip! It's fun to plan anyway... but I seriously hope we go. I've got the travel bug really bad!

Even though my mind is spinning with tales of travel, I have something sad to share. (Skip this paragraph if you can't handle sad animal stories.) Mark accidentally ran over Joey with the horse trailer today and we had to put him down. Here's to a good long life Joey. Cheers mate, you were an awesome cow dog.


We also might have to get rid of my beloved cat Prissy. She's such a perfect and beautiful cat, but if I'm going to be up here at the Lodge all the time I can't take care of her. It's not fair to her if she doesn't get the attention she deserves. And we can't have her in the lodge, but nothing is for sure with her yet. And don't worry! I wouldn't put her down. I would try to find a loving owner or at least donate her to the animal shelter. 

Last random thought of the day.... Sorting out the spices today in the kitchen got me thinking about mixing up some of my own concoctions. Which brings me to dry shampoo. I'm pretty sure that most people don't (or won't) ever use dry shampoo, but it's something that I use a lot. It's great stuff to use when camping or, if you happen to have a job like mine, use at work.  Side note, hooray for working in the woods!

Since I have blond hair, I use a 1/2 cup of corn starch with 2 tablespoons of baking soda. It's relatively scent free and I used an old spice container to house the mixture. To use it, just sprinkle a small amount in your hair and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then comb your hair out and you should be good as new!

I also ran across this blog post by the store FreePeople.com which suggests using some essential oil to give your hair a little sweet smell. FreePeople also has a recipe for dark hair dry shampoo. So check it out and make some before your next camping trip!

http://blog.freepeople.com/2012/09/guest-post-diy-climbing-knot-bracelet/
http://blog.freepeople.com/2012/09/diy-dry-shampoo-dark-light-hair/

No comments:

Post a Comment