Sunday, July 15, 2012

From the 4th On


Right. Time to blog.

Let’s start with July 1st, since that’s when things got interesting. Heidi and David came to visit the lodge for about a week. The 1st was Heidi’s birthday, but I forgot to get her something. Sorry sis! But in all honesty, if you’ve been to Halfway there isn’t a lot of places to shop. Especially when you go down on Sundays when 90% of stores are closed. 

When Heidi and David showed up (around 6:30pm) they took Erin down to horse camp to be in the two-week camp. Both of the counselors’ seemed really impressed with Erin. I’m so proud of my niece for stepping up and being awesome during her two weeks at camp.

My half sister Lisa came on the 2nd with several of her kids. It was great to have the sisters together for a couple of days.  We went on a fun little trail ride up to the Union-Companion Mine later on in the week.  We poked around up there for several hours, finding all sorts of trinkets.

Union Companion Tracks
Lisa and I (plus Scout!)
The fourth of July is tradition by now up here. Wake up. Eat a big breakfast. Then gather up everyone (horse camper’s too) and head to Haines for their annual 4th of July rodeo. Which I have to say is a unique rodeo – which I love! Mutton busting (small children attempt to ride sheep), wild cow races (teams of three attempt to saddle and ride wild cows from on end the arena to the other), ranch bronc riding (similar to saddle bronc, only with real saddles), and of course barrel racing. My sister also discovered deep fried pop tarts. Weird, right?
Heidi and I watching the Haines Rodeo

After the rodeo we went back to Halfway, watched the small parade, then played pinochle until the fireworks show started. Dad and I played on one team, while Heidi and mom made up the other team. 
Stealing photos from Heidi's blog :)
The fireworks show was pretty good for a small town and we had a great spot on the lawn. All in all it was a really fun day.

And then in the following days we got the zipline up and running. That makes things with horse camp really fun. Plus Heidi and I really had fun with it.

Flying down the zip line
On Saturday and Sunday mom “exchanged” horse campers in Portland and Heidi picked up her next exchange student Moritz who arrived from Germany. Moritz’s is pretty neat. He filmed Scout flying down the zip line. I still can’t believe I sent Scout down a zipline. Haha. If you haven't seen that video click this link... http://backcountrykatlin.blogspot.com/2012/07/scout-zip-lining-dog.html

The days have basically run in a blur since then. This morning I'm at home in union because I’m going to look at a horse today that I might possibly buy. He’s a beauty and really tall, but since I haven’t seen him in person I’m not sure if the price is too high.

And before I forget, little Misty accomplished her first trail ride the other day. What a sweet horse she is going to be!  Cracker also has shoes on so I can give WindDancer a break from working so hard.
Kelsie (horse camper) riding Cracker, Katlin on WindDancer

Sunday night it’ll be back to work up at the lodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment