Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slang

Over the years I have searched for Easter eggs in my parents home because it's a family tradition.  Dad is amazing at hiding Easter eggs! You know, the normal places. Buried in plant pots. Behind clock mechanisms. In pottery. Drawers. You name it and there is an egg there.
So over the years I have became adapt at looking in strange places for Easter eggs. And that mad skill payed off in the campus housing Easter egg hunt; because who scored the most chocolate eggs? Me! It was pretty neat that I hunted Easter eggs here, a good way to start an extremely lonnng weekend. 

I got to Skype with my sister Heidi and her hubby David today so that was exciting!  Talking to family is always makes a good day!  I just love laughing with them!

Anyways - I thought I should write a mini list of Aussie slang that I either hear or use on a regular basis. 

Arvo... afternoon
Arse... need you really ask? (Think butt)
Barbie... BBQ
Bathers... swimsuit 
Bloke... guy
Blue blood... An Aussie
Bottle Shop... Liquor Store
Brekkie... Breakfast
Brizzie... Brisbane (City in QLD)
Brumby... Wildhorse
Bush Bashing... 4WDing in the Bush
Bush walking... Hiking
B.Y.O... Bring your own [insert]. A very popular thing here.
Cuppa... Like cup of tea/coffee
Dag... idiot. Or nerd. I can never figure out which.
Damper... Bush Food. Flour + Water + Fire = Yummy.
Dingo... Wild Dog.
Fag... Cigarette.  This one confused me for a while.
Fair Go... Give him/her a chance.
Flat... Apartment
Footie... Rugby
G'Day... Hello
Good on ya... Well Done
Greenie... Environmentalist 
Grog... Beer
Heaps... Lots
Kiwi.... A New Zealander
Lolly... $$
Lollies... chewy candy
Macca's... Mac Donalds
Mate... Friend
Mozzie... Mosquito
No worries.... Easy
O.S.... Over seas
Old fella... Father
Op Shop.... Thrift Store
OZ.... Australia
Pav... Pavalo (Oz dessert)
Piss... Beer
Push Bike... Bicycle
Road Train... Semi with many trailers
Sunnies... Sunglassess
Tomato Sauce... Ketchup
Uni... University
Ute... Pick Up Truck
Unit... Block of flats
Thats all I can remember right off hand. If you want Aussie think shortened words, abbreviation, and speak with a lazy tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment