Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Explore. Dream. Discover.

Travel. 

I've been doing a lot of that lately.  Oregon.  Idaho. Alabama. Georgia. Tennessee.  Granted that's only five states; but now I'm getting ready to travel half way around the world.  I've been to Europe and I love the cafés in Paris, the rain in London, and the chocolate in Switzerland - but I'm so excited to go to Australia! 

Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu said "a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step..."

It's one of my favorite quotes about travel.  Here are some others:

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

“Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe" - Anatole France

“Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli

“Not all those who wander are lost.” –J. R. R. Tolkien

“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” – Robert Frost

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson  (Metaphorically speaking.  I'm not suggesting we all go into the wilderness and leave a trail.)

“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” –Jawaharial Nehru

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” – Miriam Beard

″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” – Moslih Eddin Saadi

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment